Monday, January 26, 2015

Carrot-Mushroom Loaf

I knew when I put this meal on my menu for the week that it wasn't going to be a family favorite.  But for some reason, the recipe intrigued me enough to brave the critics and give it a try anyway.
The result was a bit odd, but in a good way.  It's not really a loaf at all, but more like a highly textured casserole (I would use the smallest setting on my grater for the carrots next time).  I thought the flavor combination was good!  But, as expected, my gingersnaps were not huge fans.  They did okay eating it the first time (I made sure not to give them a big after-school snack that day!), but when I brought out the leftovers again for a second meal, there were major groans.  So I'm not sharing this recipe with you because it was a dinner-winner in my home.  But I do think it was good enough for those who, like me, have some strange taste buds and are drawn to this sort of dish!

recipe from the Moosewood Cookbook

2 cups minced onion
1 Tbsp butter
1 lb. mushrooms, chopped
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp basil
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp dill
3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 lbs. carrots, grated (about 6 cups)
2 cups superb bread crumbs
1 cup packed grated cheddar cheese
2 eggs, beaten
black pepper, to taste

optional toppings:
extra dill
cheese
bread crumbs
a sprinkling of sesame seeds


Lightly oil a 9x13-inch baking dish.  Preheat the oven to 350.

In a large skillet, saute onions in butter over medium heat for about 5 minutes.  Add mushrooms, salt, herbs, and garlic, and continue to sauté for about 10 more minutes.

In a large bowl, combine carrots, bread crumbs, cheese, eggs, and pepper.  Add the sautéed mixture and mix well.  Spread into the prepared pan and sprinkle with your choice of toppings.  Cover the pan with foil.

Bake for 30 minutes, covered, then uncover and bake 15 minutes more.  Serve hot or warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...